Malware refers to a malicious piece of software designed to infiltrate a computer without the owner’s knowledge. Anything that runs on the computer which is not willingly installed can be considered as malware. It contains a code that when infiltrated to the computer system, it begins to corrupt windows and its operations.
Types of Malware
- Computer Virus – A program that copies itself & duplicates itself into other machine without the user permission
- Spyware – It is a program which tracks what the user do on the computer & web and sometimes do so on the computer & web without the user knowledge.
- Adware – Software that automatically plays, displays or downloads advertisements on computer.
- Trojan Horse – Application that performs desirable function prior to run or install and facilitates unauthorized access of the user computer system.
- Rootkit – A program that conceals administration level access from the computer or computer network. It obtains user level access either by exploiting vulnerability or cracking a password.
Steps to Remove Malware:
- Disconnect the bug-ridden computer from all networks like internet. If possible, use removable software in the process to clean any new installs.
- Take a backup of all important files & software’s that you required for future.
- Make use of the utility Safe Mode to stop the malware from running. There are self running malwares which otherwise known as auto-starting.
- Check the “My Network Places” and delete the files that you suspects.
- Again reboot to Safe Mode with additional care. Review any errors occur again…
- Switch on to the control panel “add/remove” and delete Adware.
- Delete all ActiveX controls, browser cache, cookies, temporary files, history and even recent documents.
- Empty the Recycle bin
- Set firewall program and run the program
- Logon to internet and scan hard disk for any virus
- At last reboot the system and check anything you missed.